1. I took the phone, and she went discreetly into the living room.
2. Rather taken aback by such forwardness, I slammed down the phone.
3. It’s an open secret that the security service bugged telephones.
4. He will have been heartened by the telephone opinion poll published yesterday.
5. Fraud squad officers had bugged the phone and were ready to pounce.
6. I answered the phone and this voice went, “Hello? Is that Alison?”
7. Daddy called and asked me to drop by his office.
8. If you’d like more information, ring the Hotline on 414 3929.
9. Any minute now, that phone is going to ring.
10. There was silence at the other end of the line.
11. You don’t have to go running upstairs every time she rings.
12. Calls cost 36p (cheap rate) and 48p (peak rate) per minute.
13. He picked up the phone expecting to hear the chairman’s gruff voice.
14. He’s constantly on the phone to his girlfriend being soppy.
15. Check us in at the hotel and wait for my call.
He is in conference and cannot come to the telephone.
Let me note down your address and telephone number.
I’m sorry, sir, the telephone line is busy.
Would you tell me your phone number?
I noted down his telephone number with a pencil near the telephone.
Write the telephone number down in case you forget.
The telephonist asked the caller to hold on while she connected him.
You can make a long distance call just from your room.
Will you answer the telephone if it rings?
Let me put down your telephone number.
He would have come if you had phoned him.
Someone has been listening in on my telephone conversation.
I’ll call you back tomorrow morning when I get more information.
Your call has been put through.
“What?!” she shouts on the phone.
Can I have him call you back?
May I have him call you back?
On the phone?
” And then we all say, “We communicated by phone.
You should call me back at least.
We can communicate with the outside world by email and satellite phone.